[pentru varianta in limba Romana click aici]
Sometime not so long ago , in Tabacariei park – the only large park of Constanta city, there was a quite unique tourist attraction, a miniature train line. It a type of “mocanita” train encircling the lake of Tabacariei Park. This was very popular among tourists and local people .
[ I Appeal to all readers , if anybody has old pictures of the train or stations since before construction of the mall please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org ]
This narrow gauge urban rail line in the park , which included two bridges and two tunnels was quite unique in the country. There were only 2 more like this: one in the Children’s park in Timisoara and one more in Bucharest Children’s Town. Today unfortunately only one survived in Bucharest in a reduced form .
The train seems to have stopped working somewhere in 2002- 2003 , and even then apparently functioning in an incomplete route , the line was discontinued on the grounds where they already begun work on the new waste water treatment plant near Pescarie Beach. Although the line could have been easily diverted more near to the lake without affecting the necessary new water treatment plant , and even rehabilitated with European money after joining the EU in 2007 , but unfortunately the line did not get to see 2007, in 2005 the last nail was struck in the coffin of the line and of Tabacariei Park with the starting of construction works at City Park Mall, a shopping mall built abusively smack down in the middle of the park , covering what was the most beautiful promenade section of the park, the builders even had the nerve to name the new mall “City Park Mall” , to remind Constanta that there was once a park there. Even today is simply unbelievable how the mall received all the permits from City Hall and Emviromental permits. I made some pictures back in 2005 when the sole and feeble protest against the construction of mall was carried out .
And this is the same corner in 2014 after the mall was built
Although the builders of the mall had promised besides massive replantations of trees and ecological parking also that the train station will be incorporated into the design of the mall, of course nothing of it all became true. In time , all that remained of the rail was stolen and scrapped, leaving today only the hedge line that marked the route, abandoned tunnels that turned into hotbeds of infection and shelter for homeless and junkies and a visible piece of rail at the bridge near Satul de Vacanta.
Even the station at Satul de Vacanta was barely recognizable , where there were once concrete train platforms, the whole surface was paved and converted in to parking and the ticket station became a huge garbage bin. I found by chance a weathered road sign on one of the pillars that warned “Attention to the train” and these are the last vestiges of what was once in the park, an attraction that our followers and your children will never get to enjoy .
Today during the summer season there is a train car that connects the mall and Satul de Vacanta , that runs on the walkways of the park, forcing pedestrians to get out of the way , which until this year was a stinking diesel tractor that filled the park with smoke and made an infernal amount of noise when it passed by , ruining in an instant any pleasure of walking through the park. Only this year someone had the good sense to replace it with an electric one, which still runs on the alleys of the park forcing pedestrians to get out of the way. We thank the mayor , and the city hall for this and everything else that is happening in Constanta…..
the only remaining visible segment of the rail
Remains of the old train station
What do you think? I am waiting for your opinions in the comments section or on the Fb GarciaCalavera.com page. You can also drop a like there to subscribe to future articles. Thank you.
Check out other articles from Romania:
- Tales of the past – Unique photos of Constanta Trams and Trolleybus in 1991 ,
- Why Romanians are still mourning the communist regime after 29 years ,
- Tales of the past – unique photos of Constanta park and miniature train line in 1991 ,
- Once upon a time – the lost train line from the park
Check out other expat lifestyle articles:
- Immigration from EU to UK England after Brexit -Work and Family paths – Who can do it and how?
- Is it better to live in Germany or UK on the long term? Why?
- How is cycling in UK? Is the bicycle a reliable transport option here?
- What is something that you can do in Romania that a person in the United Kingdom can not do?
- How shocking is the weather in UK England for foreigners like us?
- What are the most shocking facts about UK?
- UK Point Based Immigration System 2021 – How does it work?
- Memories from my first voyage on the Albatros school ship
- UK cost of living in England – What salary do you need for a decent living here?
- Which country is better to live in: UK England or France? – Why?
- UK- How much does food cost in UK? – Is it cheaper than East Europe – cost comparison UK vs Romania
- UK Residence – How to Apply for SETTLED or PRE SETTLED STATUS
- What do the Romanians in UK think about Brexit – their lives here and is it still worth coming to the UK?
- Expat Marriage in England UK – Procedure and Costs
- How to get your UK Provisional Learner License
- Professional conversion for Seafarers – What can you work ashore?
- UK NINO – How to get it and how long does it take?
- UK Immigration – how much does it costs to relocate to England?
- First 30 days in Hull UK as Expat
- Marseille – France one year impressions
- How to get PACS in France
- Expat beginner’s guide to moving to France
- First 48 days as expat in Marseille -France
- After six years at sea
Check out other trips:
- Two weeks in Hong Kong,
- London or Paris? Which is better to visit as a tourist? ,
- Las Palmas – Gran Canaria 2020 ,
- One week in Valletta – Malta ,
- Krakow – Poland surprisingly good vacation ,
- TOP 10 most Beautiful and Authentic cities to visit in EUROPE ,
- Lisbon – Portugal vacation,
- The London Week ,
- Saint Tropez – France ,
- First 48 days in Marseille France ,
- Romania road trip across the country in 7 days ,
- Budapest Hungary road trip ,
- Prague – dream vacation ,
- Excursion Dobrogea: Enisala, Ibida, Histria ,
- Vacation Madrid Spain,
- Two days in Jacksonville USA,
- Paralia – Greece road trip,
- Brasov 12.2014 ,
- Buzau quick stop ,
- Lepsa & Vrancea county ,
- Chisinau city break ,
- Nessebar Bulgaria ,
- Bucharest weekends 2014 ,
- Busan Korea ,
- 40 days in Cluj Napoca ,
- Hunedoara Castle ;
- Singapore 2013 ,
- Brasov 02.2014 ,
- Istanbul 01.2014 ,
- Cluj Napoca 08.2013 ,
- Sibiu 07.2013 ,
- San Pedro-Ivory Coast ,
- Bucharest 2013 ,
- Varna 2012 ,
- Los Angeles 2012 ,
- Budapest & Viena trip ,
- Salerno Italy ,
- Cluj Napoca 2012,
- Florence Italy ,
- Brasov 02.2012 ,
- Amsterdam ,
- Valencia Spain ,
- Lima-Peru ,
- Bremen Germany ,
- Istanbul 2009 ,
- Valletta Malta ,
- San Juan-Puerto Rico ,
- Barcelona Spain ,
- Singapore 2010 ,
- Los Angeles 2010 ,
- Transilvania road trip ,
- La Spezia ,
- Bosphorus by ship ,
- Sydney Australia ,
- Melbourne Australia ,
- Auckland New Zealand ,
- San Francisco USA ,
- Tauranga NZ